Dodgers’ Trevor Bauer to miss rest of season due to MLB sexual assault investigation

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer will miss the rest of the season as Major League Baseball continues its investigation into allegations he sexually assaulted a woman.

“Today Mr. Bauer agreed to extend his administrative leave through the playoffs in a measure of good faith and in an effort to minimize any distraction to the Dodgers organization and his teammates,” his agents, Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba, said in a statement Friday. “He continues to cooperate with the MLB investigation and refute the baseless allegations against him.”

A person with the league who is familiar with the situation said: “The parties recognized that based upon the number of games remaining in the Dodgers’ schedule and the fact that MLB’s investigation is still ongoing, Bauer would not be in a position physically to return to Major League play this season.”

The accuser, a 27-year-old San Diego woman who met Bauer through Instagram, alleges she consented to sex with Bauer on two separate occasions earlier this year but accused him of doing things that she did not consent to during intercourse. NBC News does not identify alleged victims of sexual or domestic abuse.

She alleged that the athlete choked her until she lost consciousness, repeatedly punched her in the face and her vagina and gave her injuries that required hospitalization. The woman detailed the claims in a request for a domestic violence restraining order filed that was filed in July.

A judge temporarily granted the order but denied a request to make it permanent.

“I have been physically harmed, and traumatized,” the woman said in a statement. “I have been diagnosed with PTSD and experience severe trauma.”

Bauer, 30, has not been charged with any crime. He has been on administrative leave with the league since July.

His representatives have refuted the assault allegations against their client and have said temporary protection orders did not require corroboration. Fetterolf previously said Bauer “had a brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship” with the woman this year that she initiated.

Days after what Bauer called a second and final encounter, the woman told the pitcher she sought treatment for a concussion, and Bauer expressed concern and confusion, Fetterolf said. The woman “was neither angry nor accusatory,” the agent said.

“Any allegations that the pair’s encounters were not 100 percent consensual are baseless, defamatory, and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law,” he said.

Bauer played most of his MLB career in Cleveland before he was traded to the Cincinnati Reds in 2019. He won the Cy Young Award last year.

In February, Bauer agreed to a three-year, $102 million deal with the Dodgers.

News